(meteorobs) Electrophonics?

Nikola Biliskov nbilis at irb.hr
Fri Apr 6 06:53:39 EDT 2007

stange34 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> It is possible that whatever forces are causing the Electrophonic
> "sounds" has been detected inadvertantly, but if not recoqnized by a
> close timing to a meteor event that data would be discarded as you say
> to noise or perhaps circuit transient characteristics.
Off course, this is of crucial importance if one wants to prove
correlation of EF sounds with some other meteor-related phenomena. I
just want to say that here, in Croatia, a group of enthusiasts are
developing such an instrument, which will be very sensitive when
completed. In this moment I can not tell you about details, because this
is now in test phase.. I hope that soon we will have first results.
This project is continuation of our '90-ties efforts, which finally
resulted in Leonid 1998.success.
> Therein lies the difficulty.... establishing both events at the same
> time for proof. It is further complicated by the requirement of a
> momentary force(pertebration) sufficiently massive to create this
> "sound" at ground level.
>
> To date, NOTHING has been found that is strong enough to create
> "sound" at ground level from a meteor high in the atmosphere. It has
> only been conjectured/theorized that some form of electromagnetic
> energy propogation is responsible. But if that is true... why have not
> lessor energy levels from smaller meteors been detected regularly?
> Therein is the flaw I think.
Our results shows that theory of production of VLF emission, which
induces electromagnetic sound in the observer's environment, is not good
enough. First, we recorded sound of -7m meteor, without any evidence of
VLF emission. Limiting magnitude for EF sound, according to theory, is
about -12m. It seems that perturbation induced by meteoroid penetration
into the atmosphere triggers a cascade of processes which finally
produces several times stronger signal. We believe that it MUST be
detectable with a sensitive electrometer.
Best wishes,
Nikola