(meteorobs) Electrophonics?-Observations

James Van Prooyen grro1 at dnx.net
Fri Apr 6 09:04:12 EDT 2007

Hello All

I have been reading with great interest the e-mail on Electrophonics.
I have seen Larry's YC Sentinel webpage, this has some vary good sensors.
But here is pice of the the  Electrophonics puzzle that may be helpful.

Over the last year I have been observing meteor showers, and spacecraft
re-entry events using the NASA VLF-3 VLF receiver (0 to 10 kHz RF) and
Radio Astronomy Supplies VLF receiver (40 kHz RF).
Here are some observations that may be useful:
- During Electrophonic events I have seen rapid shifts in the Schumann
Resonance,
   this is a standing RF wave in the earth's ionosphere that exists from
ground
   level to the D region level (6 to 7 Hz RF). But I do not have any
supporting
   audio recordings. This was observed using the NASA VLF-3 receiver.
- There may be some relationship between Electrophonics and the amount of
water
   vapor at ground level. I have seen this when fog comes in from Lake
Michigan during
   observation of meteor showers. In this case I go from seeing the the
meteor shower
   to hearing the meteor shower.

Useful web page:
NASA VLF-3 Receiver Kit (cost is $80 US):
http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/inspire/

Schumann Resonance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonance

Jim Van Prooyen