(meteorobs) Electrophonics?

Swift, Wesley R. (MSFC-NNM05AB50C)[RAYTHEON] Wesley.Swift at nasa.gov
Fri Apr 6 10:20:38 EDT 2007

	My experiences with sensitive electrometers is that they can
detect almost ANYTHING... walking about, waving, someone entering the
room, whatever.   The challenge is to find an actual, convincing
correlation.   As for electrophonics, if any electrostatic field is
varying at some frequency, there is an easier to detect electromagnetic
field associated with it of the same frequency.   Although there are
definite electromagnetic effects with meteors (ionization, ionization
noise, field line interactions, RF reflection, etc.) meteor sounds are
not sufficiently correlated with these to form a cause-and-effect
relationship.   Therein lies the puzzle.

	I think the answer lies more in what can possibly excite the
observer into thinking that what they hear is a mechanical vibration
sound.  Although delusion is possible, I believe the question is FAR
more interesting than that!   A catalog of things that are perceived as
sounds or can affect tinnitus would be interesting.

Wes