(meteorobs) Eta Aquariids 2007

bmccurdy at telusplanet.net bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Wed Apr 25 18:55:43 EDT 2007

Quoting Steven Kolins <smkolins at mac.com>:

> Ah but the Moon will be just past full, high in the sky....

Yes and no. Referencing my earlier post "Lyrid lunacy", the Moon is prone to
extremes just now. Since this peak is a fortnight after that of the Lyrids, it
will have gone from a very high northerly declination to a high southerly one.
According to the Observer's Handbook 2007, May 6 is the date it achieves its
most southerly point, deep in Sagittarius at -28 deg. So for northern
hemisphere observers, while the 85%-illuminated Moon will be extremely *low*
in your sky. Unfortunately, so will be the late-rising radiant, about 70
degrees behind.

Of course this is very BAD news for our southern observers, who have my
condolences during this, traditionally your best shower of the year. Ouch.

But for me at 54 N., the Moon will be < 8 degrees up even when at the
meridian, which puts it comfortably under the tree line. I'll just be looking
(north) for earthgrazers anways, so it shouldn't affect me all that much. :o

Bruce
*****

PS: Lyrid reports to come.