(meteorobs) Eta Aquariids 2007

Mikhail Maslov ast3 at ngs.ru
Thu Apr 26 08:43:52 EDT 2007

Hello all,

Many thanks to Mikiya for his very interesting results on ETA. I'd
risk to give them my interpretation. The Earth is to encounter with
parts of very old -835 trail of 1P, these parts are composed of
particles ejected with quite high negative velocity and they are very
rarified (low f_M values). If ejection velocity was positive, I'd
suggest a small enhancement with ZHR up to 5-10 meteors above
background activity. But in trail parts with negative ejection
velocity smaller particles tend to be "washed out" by radiation
pressure forces and only quite large particles remain. This effect
appears stronger the more longer the orbital period of stream
particles is and the higher the entry velocity is. So it is
substantial for ETA. I think we have only a small chance of some
additional bright meteors appearance, but most likely nothing
especial will happen. Sorry. Would be glad to be mistaken.

Best regars, Mikhail