(meteorobs) Re: Radio meteors and digital TV stations

Jeff Brower jbrower at meteorchaser.net
Wed Aug 1 13:32:09 EDT 2007

Hello Michael,

I was on holiday so I couldn't responds sooner.

Tom Feierabend in the New York CCity area, could nopt use normal
viedo carriers due to too many direct reception stations on any given
channel.  He switched to usiong digital TV carriers and states:

"The Pilot Signal for a Digital TV Signal is trransmitted 310
(actually 309.6 Khz) above the bottom of the channel allocation. So
Channel 2 Digital Pilot is at 54.3096 and Channel 4 is at 66.3096,
and so on.

"They Pilot power levels are (I think, references to this are not in
agreement) 3db above the Digital level and most of these things are
low power 1 10 20 30 KW range.

He also noted:
However with the reduced noise levels down in this part of the
channel things are , in all , improved.

So if you are listening in USB mode  then try about 66.3087 USB ,
this gets the pilot to about 900 Hz on HROFFT, SpecLab and so on.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jeff
Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - Okanagon Centre
NASA Global Meteor Scatter Network station