(meteorobs) Re: Perseids Live ZHR Profile

meteors at eclipse.net meteors at eclipse.net
Fri Aug 10 15:35:31 EDT 2007

That is excellent advice Bob.

It takes a while to learn how to get the data needed for scientific analysis.

It doesn't occur overnight :)

Pereids vs non Perseids is an excellent place to start.

The NAMN guide I mentioned has reference stars for estimating magnitude.
I use Delphinus to see whether it's worth going out to observe. If I can
see all 4 (or 5) 4th magnitude stars, I know the haze isn't too bad.

Another tool is the little dipper. Polaris, and the brightest star in the
bowl are 2nd magnitude. The other 3 bowl stars are roughly +3, +4, and +5.
If I can see them from home(with the doofus across the street shining his
garage light in my eyes) then I know it's a good night.

I like the small constellation Triangulum because it's distinctivly shaped
3 stars are mag 3, 3.5 and 4.

Aries brightest star is +2.

Once you watch the sky, you will get a feel for it.

Until you start, you can't learn much :)

Wayne