(meteorobs) Perseids from Louisbourg, KS 8/11/2007

KCStarguy at aol.com KCStarguy at aol.com
Sat Aug 11 11:11:53 EDT 2007

I got to Powell Observatory, Louisbourg (20 minutes south of Kansas City)
around 11:30 and started observing the Perseids 11:57pm.
Sky a little hazy, nice Milky Way and at least 6th magnitude. Can't ask for a
better observing night, warm. Started out humid but when the humidity and
temperature   dropped   a bitm it was even more comfortable,   downright a great
way to observe the Perseids laying on my lawnchair.
No moon helped.
This was the nicest year of Perseids for   last 3-4 years (last years I have
felt the shower has been on the putrid side).
 Two days before maximum, I saw 10 Perseids, 8 sporadics (2 possible Kappa
Cygnids).
No fireballs but there were two -1 magnitudes.
12 of them were 2nd magnitude or better.
6 were under 3rd magnitude.
11 were white and 6 yellow. 1 was white-blue.
One had a train (trail).
So things look good for good Perseid shower Sat and Sunday night.

Dr. Eric Flescher (kcstarguy at aol.com), Olathe, KS:   Lat 38.834, Lon -94.778:
Russian Eclipse Tour 2008: Eclipse sightings >
http://eclipse-sightings.blogspot.com/: E.O.A.S. (Earth, Oceans, Atmosphere and Space) Blog -<
http://eoas-dreric1kansas.blogspot.com/>:State of Kansas-JPL NASA Solar   System Ambassador:
Comet Observers Award Coordinator- Astronomy   League/ Astronomical Society
of Kansas, KC, MO-Louisburg,KS:
http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/comet/comet.htm: Subscribe to (send your email
to):CometObserversAwardAL-subscribe at yahoogroups.com   : Eric's Black Sun Eclipse newsletter: Subscribe to (send your
email to)< blacksuneclipse-subscribe at egroups.com>:Website-