(meteorobs) Perseid fever

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Sat Aug 11 14:59:18 EDT 2007

    "We should watch for the meteorite shower!" the lady behind me said to her friend, speaking loudly to be heard over the sound of the music emanating from the main stage of the Edmonton Folk Music Festival. "They're supposed to come from that constellation just below the W."

    With that description (the second part, at least!) I realized she must have heard my own words, issued early this morning on CBC Radio One, in which I had specifically encouraged Folk Fest goers to keep their head up. For the second straight evening we had far from perfect skies, but when you have 20,000 people gathered outside in the night air, I figure they might as well look. It was very gratifying to hear evidence that the message had gotten through.

    The sucker holes that we got last night weren't too conducive to observing of any kind, but I got four marginal meteors from Gallagher Park. At the very end it was starting to clear off nicely, and when at 2330 I was finally getting my first clear view of the ISS/Endeavour (with Canadian astronaut Dave Williams on board) a nice Perseid flashed beneath it.  And with that, I had the bug, and my plan to wait until Saturday and Sunday nights to pursue dark skies for my 20th Perseid season evaporated. My "ride" to the Fest lives in the east end of Edmonton, so I headed east but compromised on an intermediate dark site at Strathcona Wilderness Centre maybe 20 minutes (each way) from my preferred location in Beaver Hills Dark Sky Preserve. I figured my time was limited, I'd rather spend that time observing. I wanted to check out this site anyway, since the SWC has expressed interest in being included in BHDSP, and I found it to be acceptable with the Milky Way prominent and Cygnus Rift easily visible.

    I had lots of layers, but I had stupidly left my talking watch and microcassette at home, so I scrabbled around in my trunk and found a dim red flashlight, some bright white sheets of poster board, and a Sharpie. It cost me about 15-20 seconds per meteor but otherwise worked fine for recording details of each meteor. I couldn't find a clear channel for the radio scatter method, and since the birds were silent I simply listened to CKUA and allowed my body to become (further) suffused with music as  I watched and waited.

    I didn't have to wait very long, as the sky was pleasantly active with 50 total meteors in two hours Teff, summarized below. The best meteors seemed to accompany the best songs: two negative magnitude streakers to a nice ambient tune by the Pocket Orchestra called "Night Sight", and esp. an outburst of five in two minutes including three negative magnitude beauties during Jeff Buckley's definitive interpretation of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah", a song firmly ensconced on my personal all-time top ten. The fourth and the fifth of these were particularly notable, a -2 falling down the Milky Way into Perseus followed a beat later by a -1 lifting in the opposite direction, shooting up the Milky Way near the zenith towards Deneb. Strangely reminiscent of the song's first stanza:

            "I heard there was a secret chord
            that David played, and it pleased the Lord
                    but you don't really care for music, do ya?
            Well it goes like this, the fourth, the fifth,
            the minor fall and the major lift,
                    the baffled king composing Hallelujah!"

    I'm no king, but I'm baffled too. :)  For a couple of transcendent minutes, sky imitated art.

    Bruce
    *****

Observer: Bruce McCurdy