(meteorobs) Quick report summary Aug 11/12 Sat eve-Sun AM (MATBE) from KC area

Bertunit at aol.com Bertunit at aol.com
Sun Aug 12 18:08:31 EDT 2007

Hello list,

Due to the extreme heat in the midwest I cancelled my vacation to SE Kansas
but have started
using a new location about 4.5 miles SSW of Powell Gardens in Johnson  County
MISSOURI.
Zenithal Star there is +6.5

Facing NE for 3:45 of observing time from 1116-0316 local time I will
comment quickly on the
following, and give a more IN-DEPTH report later next week on this  session.

93 meteors total, 16, 24, 19 (:45 min.), & 30 in the time bins. I had 4  in
five minutes at 1046pm prior to the main session. Of course the Perseids were
the
dominant source, but had interesting notes otherwise.

Perseids are overall a smattering of bright ones with otherwise slightly
below average main
population index.  I had a -5, -4, -3, -2, and just a few -1 to  +1's.  Gold
with a couple Reddish-Orange ones the vast majority on the  brighter ones.

I had a few Kappa Cygnids, one slow fragmenting one from Ursa Major early  in
the eve., one Lacertid candidate, several Delta Aquarids (missing a negative
mag. one that two other observers both saw), and had  0 mag. and a -4
beautiful Alpha Capricornids that I believe might have been the meteor seen by  Dr.
Eric Flescher's group at the Louisburg KS observatory, which probably lined
up with the K Cygnid radiant for them but was a definite Alpha Capricornid from
 my site further NE. (I am in Lenexa KS with my observing logs still E of
Lone  Jack MO currently resting and watching the mesoscale T-storm complex in E
Nebraska late pm on the 12th Sunday.) ANT meteors were few, I think I had
three.

Perseid highlight was near the end of the first hour when everyone was
commenting on lack of bright ones,
and a 0 mag. followed one second later by a -4 sped thru Pegasus with both
leaving trains of 1.5 sec. and 6 seconds.  The -5 terminal bursting yellow
Perseid was I believe just after the -4 Alpha Cap at 1229am very low in the N
sky and if Paul Martsching was action up in Iowa would have been in the SW sky
for him in Iowa.

Summary - fairly LOW Perseid rates, with qualtiy members interspersed in  the
show, but dimmer overall this year with the main index.