(meteorobs) Perseids from France (Provence)

Karl Antier ka.antier at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 13 05:52:40 EDT 2007

Hi all meteor observers !

Here's a short summary of the last three nights when I managed to
het a few hours observing the Perids from Southern France (Provence),
and catch some 2007 Perseids !
As all the data are online on the very nice IMO website and "on the fly"
ZHR graphics and data, I'll just speak of the highlights of the nights.

The first night (10/11-08), I saw what was the best Perseid I ever saw !
A nice flash, estimated to -7 or -8 appeared just under Draco, letting
a 22 second persistant train ! Such a sight !
And what's even more impressive, is that the second night (so 11/12-08),
I spotted another one (astmated to mag -7) nearly at the same time
(around 01h 40 UT, against 01h 20Ut for the first one) which followed
nearly the same path (just less than 3 degrees more south...) and let
a 15 seconds persistant train ! The lm was also very good, close to 6.7
And this night, nothing as impressive, but a nice display of Persieds,
although I missed the possible filament, due to bad clouds that frightened
me... But fortunately cleraed up around 1h UT.

Some other observations :
- the Perseids of last night appeared to me to be less bright than the two
preceeding ones. Effect of mass repartition of the particles, or just coincidence ?
- Perseids really seem to appear in clusters, and many of them appeared by pair
simultaneously. Many times, three to four Perseids appear within 2 seconds.
- as I just watched what was occuring with the sky last night (around 21-22h UT, 12/08),
I see nearly no Perseid ? Meteoric gap in the activity ?

Hope most of you could or can enjoy the show !
Clear skies !
Karl