(meteorobs) Aug 11, 0005 am, VERY bright "possible impactor meteor SSE of Yuba City CA" described on your list -perhaps also observed in SF Bay area.

John Bonds bondsjb at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 13 12:13:42 EDT 2007

Hi, I probably also saw the “possible impactor sse of Yuba City, which I saw
as NNE from San Francisco at what my car clock said was 1208 a.m. It was the
brightest thing I’ve ever seen in the sky.  At first I thought it was a
crashing airplane.  Then I thought it was space junk burning up on reentry.
I googled and found your meteorobs site and read your post of Sat. pm
regarding the possible impactor.

We saw the VERY BRIGHT meteor from Sausalito, 1 mile north of the Golden
Gate Bridge, while driving in my car with city lights on the horizon, random
streetlights here and there, and my car headlights on.  We observed this
from probably a 70 degree elevation down to the treeline, I drove to try to
catch it between some trees but could not.

We observed this to the northeast of our position, first noticing it high in
the sky above us, probably north of northeast, streaking with a long tail
fairly slowly down to behind the treeline perhaps E of northeast.

As a former Navy and merchant marine officer and professional racing sailor,
I've seen a lot of meteors while watching dark horizons on the ocean.  My
girlfriend and I were 1 mile north of the Golden Gate Bridge (San
Francisco), driving home from dinner, and we saw this in the northeast
through our car windshield.  The car headlights were on, the car was moving,
and this meteor was so bright and big that it immediately caught both of our
attention.  (She had this to say: “OH_MY_GOD!”)  We observed it falling from
about a 70 degree elevation angle to perhaps 25 degrees, when still bright
and large, it disappeared behind trees and houses.  It was so bright and big
that I considered whether there was enough of it that it perhaps did not
burn up before impacting the earth.

Regarding potential impact recording, I checked
quake.wr.usgs/recenteqs/Maps119-35.html and found nothing pertinent.

If this was the same event as the one described as “SSE of Yuba City” and I
saw it NNE of San Francisco, (100 mi to the SSE, of Yuba City) then it might
have been overhead and possibly impacted between Napa and Yuba City?  On
another site I found another post by L.Stange who said he observed it 123
degrees East of true North from Yuba City, CA, which would be ESE, not SSE
of Yuba City....

I made a probably amateurish report on the international meteor obs page.
Found nothing in any local news.  Just googled again and found some reports
by Sonora County, CA (120 mi due east of San Francisco) residents of bright
blue streak and thunder / rumbling noises, reported to local police and fire
departments:

http://www.mymotherlode.com/News/article/kvml/1186843985

"Loud Boom" Believed To Be The Result Of Meteor Shower

Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 08:05 AM

Sonora, Ca -- Representatives with the Sonora Police Department and both the
Tuolumne and Calaveras County Sheriff's Departments say they fielded
numerous calls early this morning in regards to a "loud boom," and
"structures shaking."

According to a Sonora Police Department report, there were several calls
from residents who reported seeing "a blue light," just before the "loud
boom." The incident reportedly occurred at 12:09am. The Police Department
notes that it also received a call from a resident in Tuolumne, in which a
female reported seeing what she thought was fireworks, and then something
spiraling over her house.

Early indication from the law enforcement agencies is that the loud boom was
somehow the result of a meteor shower.

Amid a bunch of alien talk, there seem to be some legitimate observations of
this event from people outside at HYPERLINK
"http://www.godlikeproductions.com/"www.godlikeproductions.com under a
message thread entitled “breaking possible meteor hit in California”.

Cheers.

John Bonds

Sausalito CA

Checked by AVG Free Edition.