(meteorobs) New Murphy's Law - Perseids Peak

Arlene Carol arlene.carol at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 15:00:23 EDT 2007

Hi,
I concur with both Bill and Tony. I saw about 60 meteors in my 2 hours and
20 minutes outside from 2:45am to 5:05 am local time (we're +3 gmt because
of 'daylight savings time').

I only recognized two that were NOT Perseids. One extremely bright meteor
had a train that lasted well over 30 seconds. but it was very short. the
'earth grazers' were observed early in the evening.

something strange last night. I know that we have two satellites overhead
every night at about 10:25 and 10:45...headed in opposite directions within
10* of each other. last night at that time, i saw no less than 6 within the
same narrow 'band' in the sky. i thought i was seeing things...that's a lot
of 'traffic' in such a short space of time and distance. i KNOW i wasn't
imagining it.

and for the first time, i was able to see and identify Andromeda.I had never
seen it before.
we had very clear skies. by the time the Pleiades rose,  i could see  5 of
its 7 stars without my glasses!

by the way, most meteors were rather short, fast and not very colorful this
time. but it was well worth the loss of sleep.

off to bed now. hopefully i'll wake up in the early morning hours and will
get a chance to pick up  few more meteors.

arlene
thanks everyone for your help. i'm learning..it will take a while....but i
appreciate your assistance.