(meteorobs) John re: Possible Impactor.

stange34 at sbcglobal.net stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 13 18:58:00 EDT 2007

Yes, John.

The 123 degrees East of True North is closer to S.E. I did say it was S.S.E. in error due to sending the report to Meteorobs within minutes of the observation & photo captures. But it is straightened out now. And in the news media. You clearly saw the same object as we recorded here in Yuba City in my opinion.

One creditable witness in Shingle Springs detailed the NEAR SURFACE explosion (nearly overhead too), as breaking up into 4 hot meteorites. Channel 3, 10, 13, CNN, et.al., have slightly different language describing the video they were sent. The creditable witness in Shingle Springs estimated the direction as S.S.E. but that is not consistant to the Sentinel camera which plots it at 123 degrees from Yuba City. His estimated direction DIVERGES from mine.He did point out it was an approx. direction from his business however.

The witness was quite professional in the detailed e-mail description(An Meteorobs Observer I believe). He might add to this. If not, I can include his e-mail on this forum.

At present we do not have any verified accuracy of any other station or observer which can help triangulate the Sentinel angle of incidence for a recovery. Some TV stations are trying to do a follow up with local witnesses.... Maybe they can find someone with experience in such matters.

YCSentinel