(meteorobs) Questions...

Karl Antier ka.antier at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 14 04:52:59 EDT 2007

Hi all !

I just have a few questions...
The first one directly deals with major showers observation. During the maximum of
such showers, there are many meteors that apperar to be very close to the horizon,
and have thus very short paths. So short, indeed, that it's hard to trace them back,
and so to make accurate shower association. Furthermore, most of them are seen from
the corner of the eye, as I imagine a few observers observe directly the horizon...
So the question is : in which category of meteors should they be classified in ?
PER (in the case of Perseids), because the rates are so high it wouldn't change the
rate much, or SPO ?
The second question deals with satellites observed during the watch ; I know it's off
topic, so if you answer me, please do that off list, thank you ! I observed twice in
the night from 11 to 12 August two satellites, one of them following closely the other.
Does anyone know what they are ? I remembered having ever observed satellites in triangular
formation, but never in couple...
The last questions deals with future October Orionids : has anyone found an explanation
for the high rates of the Orionids in 2006 ? Has anyone managed to predict their future
outbursts ?

Thank you in advance for your answers !
And clear Perseids ending !
Karl