(meteorobs) Perseids From Southern Maine

edward moore edward_f_moore at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 16:24:46 EDT 2007

Well I had no more luck than David did up north. Around 10 pm DST Sunday 8/12 a clear sky suddenly filled with wall to wall clouds. I checked every 30 minutes and at 12:20 am, still unable to see one star I called it a night.

  I have been in Maine 30 years and to the best of my knowledge it has been overcast or raining every year, except maybe 3-4 years, on peak night in the Portland area.

  Ed

DAVID DICKINSON <ghedi_dave at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Dear Sirs,
Below are what I've observed over the last few
mornings...unfortunately, we were clouded out the
morning of the 13th.

Day : 1,12,14 Month : August Year : 2007
begin : End :
Location : Saint Froid Lake, ME Country : USA long.
W68.603 40 Lat. N47.008
elevation: 400 ft
Observer : David Dickinson
Method : counting – digital voice recorder.

Observed Showers :

Perseids (47)

Interval analysis

Periods Teff Lm Per SPOR
(1Aug)
0811UT 0.5 4.0 0 0
(12Aug)
0609UT 1.02 5.5 14 0
0703UT 0.5 4.5 7 0
0739UT 0.5 4.0 4 0
(14Aug)
0623UT 1.02 5.5 22 4

Total= 51 meteors

Remarks

- Clear, moonless sky, Except on the 1st, with a
waning gibbous moon. deep astronomical twilight
towards end of sessions with almost no light
pollution.
- Several short, swift meteors with a few leaving
trains.

At the Twin Dogs Observatory,

Dave Dickinson

---