(meteorobs) Scatter question : low cost radios for tv carriers ?

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Tue Aug 14 17:57:07 EDT 2007

I asked this question some months back and I will ask once again with
more specificity:  Does anyone know if there are any lower cost radios
with CW or USB/LSB that will work for tv carriers?  When I asked here
previously, people recommended the ICOM PCR1000.  Presently these radios
are going for $400. used on eBay which is too costly for me.  Is there
some sort of radio that could be gotten used for around $100 or less? Or
even $200 maybe.  The single purpose would be for full time meteor
scatter and it would need no other features except for tuning into
83.250 MHz or 61.250 MHz carriers.

Thanks again in advance for any information.

(Also : The low cost option of monitoring the FM band of 88-108 MHz is
not an option where I live.)

( PS: Thanks to Ken for his answer to my carrier wave question.)  -
Clear skies, Tom

Thomas Ashcraft
Radio Fireball Observatory
New Mexico