(meteorobs) Another Observation of the Shingle Springs (No. CA) BrilliantFireball of 08/11/2007

Lew Gramer owner-meteorobs at meteorobs.org
Wed Aug 15 06:56:13 EDT 2007

Debbe, fireballs (especially ones seen at window level - that is, near your
local horizon) are actually very far away from you - they may be hundreds of
kilometers distant. But it's a very common thing to be fooled by their
appearance, into assuming they were actually very near to you - and so
thinking that a fireball you saw may have landed close by. Here is a web page
I wrote some years ago which I hope will help explain a bit more about what
you saw. It's entitled "Did I actually see a fireball land near me?"

    http://www.meteorobs.org/fireball.html

Clear skies, and welcome to the 'meteorobs' email list, Debbe!

Lew Gramer