(meteorobs) Meteor Spectra

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 15 13:03:54 EDT 2007

On 15-Aug-07, at 3:40 AM, mark_vornhusen wrote:

> Hello,
> I would like to record meteor spectra with my meteor video camera. The
> camera uses a xx1332 image intensifier and a Vega 2.8/120mm medium
> format lens. Do you have a recommendation which kind of spectral
> grating I should use.
>
> Mark

Mark:
	What you need is a replica transmission diffraction grating blazed for
the visual region of the spectrum.
The lens you have on your system provides a very narrow field of view.
Can it be replaced with a shorter focal length lens.  I use a 50 mm
lens on a 25mm intensifier with a 600 g/mm grating.
	You can check with the following manufactures for transmission
gratings:

           http://www.optometrics.com/products_gratings_t.html    Max
size 50X50 mm

The best gratings are available from:
http://gratings.newport.com/home.asp    They make various sizes.  Most
professional spectroscopists use these gratings manufactured by the
Richardson Grating Labs in New York.

Hope this helps:
Ed Majden

http://members.shaw.ca/epmajden/index.htm