(meteorobs) "Meteor outburst" on APOD

bmccurdy at telusplanet.net bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Wed Aug 15 21:30:00 EDT 2007

In case you missed it, just drawing the list's attention to today's Astronomy
Picture of the Day (might be archived under August 15 by the time you read
this).

It's an interesting mystery, with several theories advanced on the linked
discussion. One thing I would dismiss out of hand, however, is that this is
some kind of fake; I know of Tunc Tezel from the Solar Eclipse Mailing List,
and can confirm he is a serious astronomer and photographer. (His "tutulemma" --
analemma with total eclipse -- taken from his home in Turkey is one of the most
brilliant astroimages I have ever seen; see:
http://www.spaceweather.com/glossary/tutulemma.htm )

Back on-topic, have there been any other observations this year of the Alpha
Ursae Minorids? And, any expert commentary on APOD's assertion that this year's
Perseids were particularly active?

Unfortunately, I can't comment on that last question directly because I was
totally skunked on both August 12 and 13, the first time that has happened to
me in 20 years. I'm sure glad I went out on the 11th.

Bruce
*****