(meteorobs) "Meteor outburst" on APOD

meteors at eclipse.net meteors at eclipse.net
Thu Aug 16 11:01:31 EDT 2007

My guess would be a series of Iridiums.
Remember, there are 9 (?) Iridiums in each plane, so when you see a bright
flare, there are also just misses before and after.
Once in a while I will point the binoculars at the spot of a flare before
and after and spot the ones before and after.

Notice the bottom 3 all have flares in the middle at the same spot,
exactly the charachteristics of a series of Iridiums.

Once in a  while the H-A page will show two flares a few minutes apart,
but they use a fairly high cutoff level, so won't show the earlier and
later ones that pass through that same alignment of relections.

MW