(meteorobs) Question on the characteristics of the 811 Fireball.

Debbe Smith dripingpink at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 00:53:55 EDT 2007

thank you for your reply. Where was the actual landing because it sure seemed to land in my creek bed but can find nothing

stange34 at sbcglobal.net wrote:  811 seems to be an appropriate way to describe that fireball.

This fireball exhibited two massive flares or "bursts" of light as it went behind my distant horizon of small trees. A core of light was visible behind the tree bases throughout that period of partial light shielding by the trees.

I was fortunate to be actually looking at the all-sky (real-time) TV monitor as the Fireball first appeared and began its visible approach to the earth. To the eye, the fireball had TWO massive light explosions or flare ups by the end of the event.

Going over the frames of the video (3194 to 3224) that had captured the same event, frame number 3217 shows the fireball between TWO explosive points that are located between frame 3216 & 3218.

The frame period is closely 1/30th second. The beginning period between the the two explosions is 1/15th second.... which is the shortest time period before the eye integrates light pulses into a steady state. This corrobrates what was seen with what was recorded on the .avi video.

QUESTION: -Are TWO aerial explosions characteristic of low level fireballs? Or do we have the possibility of a small impact too?

Most, if not all, of the Seismographs located near Sacramento & the Sierra's are strong-motion types designed to measure structure flexure vs ground mount references.

YCSentinel
---
Mailing list meteorobs: meteorobs at meteorobs.org