(meteorobs) Postimg Images to this List--Why Not?

meteors at eclipse.net meteors at eclipse.net
Fri Aug 17 16:59:04 EDT 2007

I'll take a shot at this answer.

One reason is that many of the users of this list have very expensive dial
up connections. 350 kb may not seem like much to you, but if it cost you a
quarter every time someone decided to post one, it might not be so.

It is also a security issue, since attachments can hide trojans, viruses,
and other malware.

Not everyone can afford full security packages.

It was decided early on to keep this an e-mail list so such users can
participate cheaply and safely.

As I said you are free to post a link to a map or any other attchment or
to let users contact you if they want things such as my Perseid excel
charts.

It may not be as much of a problem as it once was, but when the list was
set up a decade ago it was quite prevelent for anything other than plain
ascii to not be readable by half the users on the list.

That's just my viewpoint, I'll let the head elf reply when he sees this.

Elf, Wayne too.