(meteorobs) Postimg Images to this List--Why Not?

Lew.Gramer at noaa.gov Lew.Gramer at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 17 17:41:38 EDT 2007

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions re: image attachments and the list. We do not
allow ANY binary attachments, for the simple reason that the software required to screen
users from all possible harmful attachments is simply too cumbersome for our volunteers
to manage. And considering that this problem can be got around by the simple expedient
of including a LINK to an image or map in your post - it has just never seemed worth it.

And further - even software which screens binaries for security, can still not review an
image for CONTENT, leaving open the possibility that our little amateur science list at
some point might be barraged with images of, well... who knows what.

Like everything else to do with 'meteorobs', though, this policy might be changed if the
community as a whole felt that the dangers of binary attachments were outweighed by
the advantages (to the meteor community) of allowing images through.

However, I respectfully ask that any suggestions like those above, be forwarded NOT to
the list itself, but to your many cheerful List Elves. You can always reach us by emailing:

    owner-meteorobs at meteorobs.org

Thanks again to all our readers for their continued interest, and clear skies to all!

Lew Gramer
owner-meteorobs at meteorobs.org