(meteorobs) Active KCG activity!

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 17 21:00:41 EDT 2007

Hello all,

Just a short note that I was out observing for about 4 hours TEFF
last night (Aug 16/17) under very clear skies (LM=6.5).
The Kappa Cygnids seemed unusually active!  I still need to listen to
the tape and check my plots, but I'm pretty sure that this was the
most KCG seen in a single session for me.
One of the KCG was a big flashbulb too :0)) A very impressive
fireball of at least mag -7 that flared to blue-white, lit up the sky
and ground and left behind a bright train persisting for several long
minutes!  It was most interesting to follow the train in my
binoculars as it twisted and expanded.

(Side note... On the previous night, members of our local astronomy
club reported seeing another major fireball in the neighborhood of
mag -8 to -10 with fragmentation.  Path description would appear to
indicate a possible KCG).

Clear skies and go KCG :)

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

P.S.  Mark... Stay tune for several reports on the way.  I seem to
have had some time to observe over the last couple of months, but a
very busy day schedule has kept me away from preparing and sending
out the reports.