(meteorobs) Low frequency rf detector

Robert Gardiner rendrag at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 18 10:22:12 EDT 2007

Many years ago after reading an article on meteor-phonics I decided that perhaps
a simple audio frequency detector might detect the EMF that must produce them. I
happened to have a spool of 100 ft of white 18GA strand of hook up wire. Through
a small circuit board I connected this as a simple loop to an “ARCHER MINI AMPLIFIER-SPEAKER”.
I later decided that this would not work because this resonates at 30 meters or
10 MHz. When I tested it in my backyard it was great at picking up the 60 Hz background.
I decided to take this with me to Joshua Tree National Park for the Perseid Shower
on August 13. I chose a site just north of the Cholla Cactus Garden. The site proved
to be completely free of 60 Hz power hum. However I could hear two other things
when I held the speaker to my ear at full volume. First there were two very faint
radio stations that I could not identify. This was no doubt due to some non linearity
in the amplifier at these low amplitudes.  The other thing that was more interesting,
which I can only describe as popcorn static. Like the radio stations it varied in
intensity, and when it was at its loudest it had a metallic quality. It was a little
louder than the radio stations. What was that? I was a licensed radio ham for many
years and a short wave listener for 70 years and don’t remember hearing anything
like it. Unfortunately I did not leave the amplifier on all of the time for some
reason. However I heard nothing that I could correlate to any meteor. However I
think I will try again for the Geminid Shower this coming winter.
	I did not go to the desert to do any scientific observation of meteors. I love
the stars and that is what I went for, just to see the stars under good skies. I
was not disappointed despite the fact that the sky was polluted by the Marine base
at 29 Palms and the real estate development at Palm Springs and further east. North,
East and Southwest were fine. Fifty years ago I saw the most beautiful views of
the heavens at Joshua Tree National Park that I have ever seen in the world. It
brings tears to my eyes when I realize that slowly the stars will all be eaten away
by suburban development. The most precious gift I gave to my children was the stars.
The loss of that inspirational asset will lead to a much poorer world.
	I did a little meteor counting in the early evening. I saw 8 Lacertids, 20 Perseids,
and many more sporatics, which I was not counting. I was just enjoying the stars.