(meteorobs) Bolide over Greece (20/7)

Grigoris Maravelias gmaravel at iesl.forth.gr
Sun Aug 19 04:37:31 EDT 2007

Dear friends,

I have witnessed a huge fireball over the Greek skies at 23:49 UT of
20th of July, during the 1st Annual Meeting of Amateur Astronomical
Societies in Greece (more people have seen it too, i will try to collect
more data) . . It was heading from Altair to Andromeda galaxy more or
less...Mag around full moon perhaps. More detail can be seen at the
report i have sent to IMO fireball section. I hope that it was not a
reentry, but are you aware of any at that time?

Best wishes,
Grigoris

OBSERVER: Maravelias Grigoris (IMO CODE: MARGE)

DATE, TIME AND LOCATION:

2007/07/20    23:49 UT
Dirfy mountain refuge, Euvoia, Greece
Longitude: 23°51'59" E
Latitude: 38°36'50" N

FIREBALL PARAMETERS AND DESCRIPTION:

Apparent path [Begin/End (RA,Dec)]: 19h,+08d / 01h,+47d
Apparent magnitude: - or comparison with brightness of full moon: like
full moon
Duration: ~3 seconds
Color(s): Blue outer layer with a thin orange inner layer covering the
white core
Trail: -
Fragmentation: no
Persistent Train: no
Angular Velocity: - °/s or Scale: fast
Sound: - Time interval between fireball and sound (seconds): -
Shower: unknown

COMMENTS:
The meteor core had a structure like a human punch, as if it was
consisted by three parts (but no fragmentation took place).