(meteorobs) HandyAvi. -A litlle background here would be good.

stange34 at sbcglobal.net stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 23 01:41:53 EDT 2007

I once ran two VCR's all night long watching for meteors. Worked fine...UNTIL I wanted to view the tapes.

This means watching the tapes replay for 8 hours to see what I got, OR fast forwarding the tapes looking for bright objects only because you won't see faint meteors. Neither is acceptable. For that reason I searched for better software and found AZCendants newly developed software. You can download a FULL version without losing any feature for free. But you need to send him $40 to get an e-mail key that registers the software forever, including any future upgrading he does.

He even re-designed the software at my request to allow CIRCULAR sensitivity fields to be used for ALL-Sky cameras.....AT NO CHARGE. And this is also included in the downloadable software.

Back to the point... By setting a sensitivity level for faint meteors you do not have to set there and play back 8 hours of software images. The video will now only contain the meteors (or planes) that were captured at that sensitivity level. 'Nother words....8 hours reduced to a matter of minutes. He even has a meteor scan mode for running & examining the playback video.

There is ton's of user controls in all the individual modes too... Too many to mention here. It is simple to use this software, but it can get real complex too if you examine all those control features and start experimenting with settings.

Over-all value? Worth $100's of dollars in my considered opinion.

YCSentinel