(meteorobs) Aurigid Laptop Observation Project

Chris Crawford chrisc at storytron.com
Thu Aug 23 12:50:34 EDT 2007

The first test of the Aurigid Laptop Meteor Observation Project,
using the Perseids, was successful and we now have everything in
place. All we need now is a group of willing observers. I'm sure that
everybody here who'll be in the western USA on September 1 will be
observing the Aurigids. I urgently request every one of those people
to participate in the Aurigid Laptop Meteor Observation Project, if
you're not going to be occupied with other activities. It's
ridiculously simple: download the software, run it on your laptop,
click the mouse when you see an Aurigid, and email me the data file
the next morning. I'll use these data files to assemble a 3D image of
the Aurigid meteor stream as it hit the western USA -- something
that's never been done before.

I have started a publicity campaign to recruit lots of 'civilians' in
this effort. It really is possible that we can get the density of
observers we need to pull this off. You can help.

If you're interested, start with this webpage:

http://www.erasmatazz.com/Aurigid/Aurigid.html

It provides all the information you need.

Thanks,

Chris Crawford