(meteorobs) Aurigid Laptop Observation Project

meteors at eclipse.net meteors at eclipse.net
Thu Aug 23 12:57:12 EDT 2007

Chris, One thing I don't see mentioned is that the time on your laptop
must be accurate to within a second before starting, otherwise the times
recorded by the program will be meaningless.

This means the users MUST calibrate their laptop clock immediately before
setting out to observe, as I have found such clock accuracy to be marginal
at best. Even my desktop computer's clock drifts a few seconds per day.
If a user has not cal'd their laptoip clock in a while, it could be off by
many minutes.

Please emphasize this, and suggest methods to time the laptop clock, or
the data will be meaningless for constructing a 3D/4D picture of the
event.

I'd also feel better if there were a method to record meteor magnitude,
and sky limiting magnitude conditions as well, otherwise reducing the data
to a ZHR will be impossible.

I am in NJ so it's a moot point for me, but I would hate to see this noble
effort create useless data.

Wayne