(meteorobs) Aurigids observing

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Thu Aug 30 20:24:23 EDT 2007

I received this message on Tuesday from Chad Moore  at Bryce National Park
in Utah.  Though it might be of some interest  as we are now less than
36-hours
away from the expected Aurigid peak.    -- joe rao

We saw several meteors last night, about 25% of  which I would assign to the
Aurigids. My understanding of this fickle shower  is that it has a very
narrow peak, however not only were there meteors with  radients traced back
to Auriga, but they often came in pairs or triples, with  the combined
radient triangulating well on Auriga. I wasn't keeping notes,  but the ZHR
seemed to be about 6 for the suspect Aurigids. No fireballs and  the suspect
meteors were of average brightness or perhaps dimmer. Thought you  would be
interested in this observation with your S&T writings. Angie and  I will be
out Saturday morning looking for the peak.

Chad Moore
NPS  Night Sky Team
Bryce Canyon National Park
PO Box 640201