(meteorobs) Plotting chart wanted for Levy comet/radiant

John Drummond john_drummond at xtra.co.nz
Fri Aug 31 01:43:49 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I want to observe a shower in the southern hemisphere over the next few nights that David Levy asked me to observe one year ago. It may be associated with a comet that he discovered in June 1991 (P/1991 L3 - Levy). The radiant is in Pavo, about 3 degrees north of Gamma Pavo. I observed it for six nights in a row (Mon 28 Aug - Sat 02 Sept 2006) and noticed a gradual peak of 3 meteors per hour on 30 Aug. The observed hourly rates were:
28 Aug = 3
29 Aug = 1
30 Aug = 3
31 Aug = 2
1 Sept = 1
2 Sept = 0

Details re the radiant can be found at:
http://www.possumobservatory.co.nz/levys_meteor_shower-gamma_pavonids-31aug.htm
or
http://tinyurl.com/zgk8l

However, having said the above, David wrote this to me yesterday, "However, in Peter Jenniskens' new book Meteor Showers and their Parent Comets he mentions the possible 'Indids; August 30.8  RA 320.2, Dec. -60.6 near Beta Indi.' That would be an interesting idea to check."

Perhaps they are both the same radiant. Further study is needed:
August Pavonids (Levy): August 30, RA 21h 28m, Dec. -62.
Indids: August 30.8, RA 320.2 (~21h 20m), Dec. -60.6 near Beta Indi

I'm wondering if there is an (IMO) plotting map for the southern hemisphere (south of -40 Dec). I can't seem to locate one. Can anyone perhaps help?

Sorry I never prewarned people earlier about this radiant but David emailed me yesterday to remind me to give it another go...it has slipped my mind until two days ago.

Cheers and thanks.

John Drummond
Possum Observatory (IAU Code: E94)
Gisborne, New Zealand