(meteorobs) Perseids from Southern France

Michel Vandeputte michelvandeputte at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 31 09:46:53 EDT 2007

Hi,

A little word about my experiences with the Perseids this year, just in time before the Aurigid outburst ;-).
I witnessed the Perseids from southern France between August 10-20. In ten observing nights I was able to enjoy 2163 meteors including 1137 Perseids and 102 Kappa Cygnids. Good for 48,65 observing hours in grand total. Perseid rates climbed up to 97 Perseids in just one hour time before dawn (August 13). As usual during big shower maximums, I was holding minute countings all night long. Perseids were peaking at 5 meteors in one minute time at best. Irregular appearance, so typical for the Perseids. During August 11-12 and 12-13, weak meteors were dominating the display, but I also observed some bright fireballs up to magnitude -8. Also the Kappa Cygnids showed this year some nice activity with a couple fireballs up to magnitude -6. Observing conditions were good, sometimes great (when the local Mistral wind blows in this part of France, producing crystal clear skies). Only August 14-15 was clouded out almost totally by cirrus clouds. You can find almost all my useful data on the IMO-website (ZHR on fly).

I wish you all a successful Aurigid observations (it seems to be here totally cloudy this night),

Long trains and please, keep us informed about this event as soon as possible,

Michel.