(meteorobs) Plotting chart wanted for Levy comet/radiant

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Fri Aug 31 10:00:52 EDT 2007

>Hi all,
>
>I want to observe a shower in the southern hemisphere over the next few
>nights that
>David Levy asked me to observe one year ago. It may be associated with a
>comet
>that he discovered in June 1991 (P/1991 L3 - Levy). The radiant is in Pavo,
>about 3
>degrees north of Gamma Pavo. I observed it for six nights in a row (Mon 28
>Aug - Sat
>02 Sept 2006) and noticed a gradual peak of 3 meteors per hour on 30 Aug.
>The
>observed hourly rates were:
>28 Aug = 3
>29 Aug = 1
>30 Aug = 3
>31 Aug = 2
>1 Sept = 1
>2 Sept = 0

>Details re the radiant can be found at:
>http://www.possumobservatory.co.nz/levys_meteor_shower-gamma_pavonids-31aug.htm
>or
>http://tinyurl.com/zgk8l

>However, having said the above, David wrote this to me yesterday, "However,
>in Peter
>Jenniskens' new book Meteor Showers and their Parent Comets he mentions the
>possible
>'Indids; August 30.8  RA 320.2, Dec. -60.6 near Beta Indi.' That would be
>an interesting
>idea to check."

>Perhaps they are both the same radiant. Further study is needed:
>August Pavonids (Levy): August 30, RA 21h 28m, Dec. -62.
>Indids: August 30.8, RA 320.2 (~21h 20m), Dec. -60.6 near Beta Indi

Probably they are the same meteor shower, you must reminder that a new
shower with a radiant calculated theorically in the real situation it shall
be
not exactly where it it's calculated but near and you must reminder too
that the radiant its not a poin but a area with some degree of diameter:
21 H 28 m of August Pavonids it's near RA 322.5, then the two radiants
are at 2° of distance, the same in delination, a radiant have in general
5° in diameter then ...

>I'm wondering if there is an (IMO) plotting map for the southern hemisphere
>(south of -40 Dec).
>I can't seem to locate one. Can anyone perhaps help?

You can utilise this:

http://meteore.uai.it/mappe/brno11.jpg

or

http://meteore.uai.it/mappe/brno10.jpg

http://meteore.uai.it/mappe/brno12.jpg

>Sorry I never prewarned people earlier about this radiant but David emailed
>me yesterday to remind
>me to give it another go...it has slipped my mind until two days ago.

The next year the New Moon shall be the 30 August, all Southern observers
should take this
good  occasion.

>Cheers and thanks.

>John Drummond