(meteorobs) Hypervelocity meteors

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Tue Dec 11 11:32:54 EST 2007

From: "Francisco Ocaña" <albireo3000 at yahoo.es>
To: "Global Meteor Observing Forum" <meteorobs at meteorobs.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:22 PM
Subject: (meteorobs) Hypervelocity meteors

> Hello list,
>
> before reading this article I thought that meteors at v>73km/s were
> uncommon. What do you know/think about this topic?
>

> arXiv:0712.1571
> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:11:42 GMT   (401kb)
>
> Title: Detection of an intergalactic meteor particle with the 6-m
> telescope
> Authors: V.L. Afanasiev (1), V.V. Kalenichenko (2), I.D. Karachentsev

cut

The hypervelocity meteors it's a speciality of Russian Astronomers! ;-)
It's known from many years by radars that there are some galactic
radiants, I remember one from Orion and one from Sagitarius.
Some years ago I do some theorical researches on possible galactic
meteor showers, then I can said that this meteor (300 KmM/sec)
it's a retrograd (toward Milk Ways) meteor: theorically
we should see from the Earth galactic meteors with speed
between 200 to 450 Km/sec following if they are direct or retrograd
toward the direction of rotation of our galaxy, meteor with a biggest
speed of 450 Km/sec should be extragalactic meteors, but in this
way we go O.T. I can add only that some comets have a possible
extrasolar origin and then we should too see, sometime, very sometime,
some asteroids that come from the interstellar space:
we must too remember that some week ago it was annonced
the discovery of a neutron star that has a speed of around 1250 Km/sec,
this speed come from the esplosion of a supernova, but an asteroid
or too meteoroids near a incoming supernova can too receive the
same speed from the esplosion of the supernova.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli