(meteorobs) Hypervelocity meteors

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Wed Dec 12 15:31:44 EST 2007

From: "Pat Branch" <pat_branch at yahoo.com>
To: "Global Meteor Observing Forum" <meteorobs at meteorobs.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:45 AM
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Hypervelocity meteors

> The paper claims the meteor is likely extragalactic since the velocity
> was more than the 220 Km/sec galactic velocity.

??? 220 Km/sec it's the speed of the Solar Sistem around the center of our
galaxy, then in similar way a galactic meteor that fall on the Earth must
have a relative speed from 0 Km/sec to 440 Km/sec, at this
speed we must add the speed of the Earth around the Sun that can to be
+ 30 or - 30 Km/sec and too add the around 11,5 Km/sec for the
Earth gravity then we can have galactic meteors with speed between
0 Km/sec to 481,5 Km/sec, but this it's not real because we must remember
that we can receive meteors from star sistems near of the Earth, star
sistems that have near the same speed around the galaxy that the solar
sistem, the differential speed (around the galaxy) between their sistems and
our it's in general around 20 Km/sec and we can see this in the speed
toward solar sistem of the near stars, and the speed of interstellar meteors
took by radars by Russian it's between 72 and 110-120 Km/sec
near exactly  this speed, we can think too that some meteors with
around 50 Km/sec can to be interstellar (72-20).
As I wrote the galactic meteors follow a very hight number of
possibility and then very different speeds, but in near all case they
should have speed more hight that 72 Km/sec then it must to be very
easy to find they.
It's for me very difficult write on this matter in English and in only
some words: for a complet theory on speed of galactic meteors
it need many pages.

> But couldn't a meteor
> reach the predicted speed of 300 km/sec if it also got a gravity
> assist from the Sun or one of the inner planets - even from Earth?

Certainly, but it's must to be a very rare case, because it need of many
assists.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli