(meteorobs) Fwd: Digital TV

bob71741 bob71741 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 20:28:43 EST 2007

When digital TV (ATSC) replaces analog TV (NTSC), the frequency plan
will remain the same;for example, ch4 will still be 66-72 MHz. What
channels will not be available still appears to be rampant speculation
and rumor at this time. Some say the lower VHF (2-6), and other
sources cite some UHF stations.

If you monitored the TV audio subcarrier on an FM receiver, this will
not be available with ATSC operation. If you monitored the video
carrier with an AM/SSB receiver, then a pilot carrier will be
available to continue the monitoring since the digital video carrier
will be surpressed due to the nature of the digital modulation. The
pilot carrier will  be available on all channels at 60 KHz above the
current video carrier frequency. For the channel 4 example, the pilot
carrier will be at 67.31 MHz, 60KHz above the 67.25 video carrier
frequency.

Hopefully the new converter boxes may provide some handles to monitor
an AGC voltage, or to simply be used an an RF converter to continue
forward scatter monitoring.

Regards
Bob