(meteorobs) Few Geminids from Alberta

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Fri Dec 14 17:17:10 EST 2007

Subject: (meteorobs) No Geminds from South Carolina
>I was out from 2:30-5:30 local time and saw only a few meteors through a
> thin layer of clouds. The only stars bright enough to shine through the
> veil were those of +1 or brighter magnitude. Because of this, I was not
> able to collect any usable data - but enjoyed watching a few meteors
> slice through the clouds.We have rain forecast now, so I'm about done
> looks like.

    Mark, I'm glad I'm not the only one who writes "Geminds". Here in
northern Alberta we were skunked for the third consecutive night. In the end
we never even left home in search of a hole in the clouds. Luckily for me a
small one passed overhead around 2 a.m., when Gemini -- radiant, Mars and
all -- were passing high on the southern meridian. There remained a high
haze that reduced the limiting magnitude to not much better than 3.0. In 10
minutes I was very fortunate to observe three bright Geminids up near the
zenith,  mag -1.5 Mars was a useful comparison object for all three. I was
particularly fortunate to see a rare example of a true point meteor defining
the radiant near Castor. All too soon the clouds came billowing back through

    Am very glad I went out Monday, and prospects are good for the first
half of tonight which we will certainly take advantage of. It'll be
interesting to see the tug o' war between falling rates and rising radiant.

    Bruce
    *****