(meteorobs) Post-peak Geminids in Alberta (preliminary)

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Sat Dec 15 15:46:33 EST 2007

    Kim wrote:

>I was richly rewarded with bright meteors this morning as I managed to
>catch a three hour cloud-free session just as the radiant reached
>culmination, observing from 12:12 until 3:15 local time.  This was my first
>decent observing opportunity in a long, long time, and while it lasted, the
>skies were crystal clear with no clouds.  I had many bright
>GEMs, -5(2), -4(2), -3(2), -2(1), -1(5), and 0(7)!!  Rates were highest the
>first hour with 55 total meteors, falling to 39 and 49 respectively the
>following two hours.  I was hardly disappointed, given my lack of observing
>time this year!  I had been clouded out for the peak night, but did manage
>to see a dozen or so from my backyard between cloudy intervals.  It clouded
>up soon after the third hour, and has been raining since I awake this
>morning....

    Sounds like Kim's experience was similar to mine other than I didn't
quite get the -5s. But I got 5 hours Teff between 04:00-09:40 UT; like Kim
the first hour was easily the best, with about 50 meteors, probably 10 of
them in the (low) negative magnitudes. Excellent results for 9-10 p.m.!
Rates steadily diminished from there, but it was a very good night. I will
transcribe my tape and report in detail as soon as I can. I have three
Geminid sessions to catch up!

    Bruce
    *****