(meteorobs) Recent NAMN Observations

suejam1 at juno.com suejam1 at juno.com
Sat Dec 15 16:47:03 EST 2007

Hello again Mark and Comrade Meteor Observers!  Departed Ft. Myers, Florida area yesterday for Palm Bay, Florida where I am staying with my  Sister.  Norm and I had a great night on 12/13 December with six hours of observations and no interference from clouds.  Confirmed that the Geminid rates are in decline from what we use to observe in the 1970's and 1980's.  We averaged rates between 40-60 Geminids/hour back then.  This past Wednesday night, we averaged between 20-25/hour in dark sky conditions (limiting mag of 6.7).

Then we did not get a fully clear night the max. night, but we did have Lew join us for what we were able to see.   All of us agreed that maybe we were seeing about 60/hour, which is a far cry below the near 100/hour rates of the late 1970's and 1980's, that carried into the 1990's.  Then again, we are all  now beginning to age somewhat, so I perceive that I am not seeing as many meteors as I use to in my teenage & young adult years.  Once I return to Central Virginia, I will try to set out the hourly rate totals from 12/13 December.  Hope that each of You is well!!
               In Astronomical Affinity - Felix A. Martinez