(meteorobs) advice needed to shoot meteors

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Dec 15 21:11:24 EST 2007

Hi Jeremie-

How bright a meteor appears is largely independent of exposure time,
since the meteor sets its own exposure time by how long it spends on any
one pixel. Longer exposures do slightly decrease the sensitivity by
adding more noise, but the effect is small for typical camera exposures.
So why limit yourself to 5 seconds? You're going to need to take an
awful lot of images, and there is dead time between each while the data
is saved. I'd consider something like 30-second exposures. That gives
you a much better chance of catching a meteor, and a lower percentage of
your time spent inactive. You're not going to see much sky movement in
30 seconds using a 50mm lens unguided. You might also consider a cheap
tracker for the camera.

You get some advantage with the smaller DSLR sensor, because it sits in
the central region of the lens image plane, where the optics are better.
Even so, very few lenses are capable of producing pinpoint images out to
the edge of the chip unless you take them down one or two stops from
wide open.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory