(meteorobs) BRIGHT Geminids last night (Dec 14/15)

Koen Miskotte koen.miskotte at versatel.nl
Sun Dec 16 07:32:55 EST 2007

Hi Pierre,
The same goes voor me! In search of clear weather we decided to take a plane
(!) to Portugal. There we could observe during three clear nights! I was
with my friends Carl Johannink, Michel Vandeputte, Simon Vanderkerken &
Inneke Vanderkerken. The location was 30 km east of Evora (~8 degr, east,
38,5 North).
12/13-12
Only Michel coulds observe this night.

13/14-12.
We had an 8 hour session (21:30-06:30 UT) with many, many Geminids.
Limithing magnitudes up to 6.7. I think I did see 800-900 meteors, but I
still had no time to listen to my recordings. No really bright fireballs
seen.

14/15-12
A really great night! During the period 21:00-05:00 UT we had good Geminid
activity under bright skie's (Lm 6,6 -6.7). The first hours we had normal
activity, but after 00:30 meteors became brighter and brighter. As a team we
did see 14 (yes, fourteen) Geminid fireballs between magnitude -4 and -8! I
never seen so much Geminid fireballs in one night as this year. Geminid
activity was declining at the end of the night.
Both nights I operated my Canon EOS 40D with a Canon EF 2.8/15 mm fish eye
lens. During a short look I saw 20 bright Geminids (amongst them 2
fireballs) so a closer inspection of the 1200 images (!) will reveal more
meteors.
More results later!
Best wishes,
Koen