(meteorobs) Mojave Geminids Day 1

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Sun Dec 16 10:04:31 EST 2007

I began the three hour drive near 2pm on Wednesday December 12. The
temperature was 70F plus the sky was perfectly clear from home but as I
drove north I could see some cirrus on the northern horizon. These clouds
gained in altitude as I drove further north. The snow in the mountains north
and east of Los Angeles was beautiful. I should have left earlier as the
traffic was heavy all the way through San Bernardino ( approx. the first 100
miles). The traffic thinned as I drove into the San Bernardino mountains and
down into the desert towards Victorville. The temperature on the desert side
of the mountains was twenty degrees cooler than the coast. The sky was now
filled with cirrus, many of them artificially created contrails left behind
by the many flights between LA and Vegas. I reached my destination east of
Barstow a little after 5pm and it was getting dark. I met Robin Gray at the
campsite and we soon started a campfire to keep warm. The fire also provided
a source to make some quick carne asada burritos. As it became totally dark
the sky improved and it appeared we would be in for a fine night of meteor
watching. We caught a quick nap near 7pm and rose just after 11pm. There
were just a few patches of clouds so we started counting near the bottom of
the hour. In that first hour I counted 57 meteors, 46 of them being Geminid
meteors. By the end of this hour we noticed the clouds thickening in the
north and the west. We weren't alarmed as we could continue through thin
cirrus. Unfortunately we soon noticed the jets passing above these clouds
indicating that they were much lower than anticipated. These altostratus
clouds struck us around 1:15am and we were forced to stop counting. I sat in
the chair another half hour but conditions were still worsening. I thought I
would check out Mars through the telescope while there were still brakes in
the clouds. By the time I was set up both Mars and Saturn were gone. I then
napped in the back of the truck, checking the sky every hour but the sky
remained overcast the remainder of the night.

Totals for the night 12/13/07: 2.00 hours 79 Meteors, 62 GEM, 2 COM, 2 HYD,
2 MON,  11 SPO
Temperature/Relative Humidity: 27F/81%

Bob Lunsford