(meteorobs) advice needed to shoot meteors

Rainer Arlt rarlt at aip.de
Sun Dec 16 11:28:44 EST 2007

Hi Jeremie,

> I saw the sigma 30mm f/1.4 for ~$400. Since I don't know wnything about
> this brand, my question is to know if anybody here has ever tried this
> one for astro-photography please?

The Sigma may be an option, but it has a severe quality fall-off
towards the edges at f/1.4. This is usually fine for people
photography with small depth of field, but in astrophotography
you will be annoyed by it. The best 35mm is I think the
1.4/35mm Distagon by Carl Zeiss. A comparison is at
www.pbase.com/pikarin/lens_for_night_sky
At the moment the link doesnt want to work, but I hope thats
the place where I saw the comparison. The distagon sells for
~500 EUR at ebay, tip: take a non-MM version which is cheaper
and makes no difference, since you have to shoot manually
anyway on your Canon.

Best wishes,
Rainer

--
Rainer Arlt  --  Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam, Germany
www.aip.de/People/rarlt   --   +49-331-7499-354  --  fax: -526