(meteorobs) Observation November 5/6, 2007 from Slovenia (late report)

Javor Kac javor.kac at guest.arnes.si
Sun Dec 16 15:25:12 EST 2007

Hi All,

Jure A. and I were searching for the clear skies on November 5 to observe
comet Holmes. We first stopped at a convenient location fairly close to
Ljubljana, called Vrh (short for Vrh nad Zelimljami, if anyone can read
this:). There were some small holes in the clouds and stars were visible
low in the south. We waited for some time but the sky did not seem to
improve. However, stars very low in the south remained visible, so we
decided to drive in that direction. After about 20 km drive we found a
nice spot at the top of hill with almost completely clear sky. It was very
cold, the wind was blowing hard and I was not adequately dressed. Still,
I decided to observe meteors until I would freeze, waiting for that -8 mag
Taurid fireball.
Needless to say, I was frozen after 30 minutes so I was forced to quit.
During that time I saw ten meteors, three were from the Taurid complex.
I did not see any bright meteor. That Taurid fireball did not appear
either...

Clear skies!
Javor

The Summary: