(meteorobs) Geminids in Kansas

KCStarguy at aol.com KCStarguy at aol.com
Sun Dec 16 18:01:23 EST 2007

 I headed south to Powell observatory 20 minutes away from Olathe KS (near
Kansas City ) where I could view all around from almost horizon to horizon. I
was glad I did.

The sky was very clear. I camped out with my sleeping bag, deck chair and pad
and red light. I saw a -2 Geminid right away and then just started falling
all around in every direction. From 1:38- 3:30 I saw 45 meteors ranging from -4
mag to 4 magnitude (it was that clear). Unfortunetly while many were bright
they were almost all white which is strange because many are usually yellow.

Most were bright, without tails (trains) and were 5-15 degrees long. Several
times two would appear right after another. There was a yellow one however
that left a 0.75 second train. Most (like many Geminids) were 0.5 second in
duration although a few were faster.

I actually would have seen more but I always plot the information about each
meteor (for the American Meteor Society) so I can send the data in. Each plot
takes 30 seconds to turn on red light and write.

This was the best meteor shower I have seen for the Geminids EVER and the
best meteor shower for me since the 2002 Leonids and 2002 Geminids (had many
fireballs and bright ones but were more colorful) .Probably one of the top ten
showers I have ever seen (since 1963).

Clouds and fog moved in but stayed away. I left earlier to go back as I had
school the next day to teach and I was cold even though I had bundled up and it
was in 30's.

I occasionally post meteorite and meteor stuff on my EOAS blog so check it
out if you want.
? let me know

Dr. Eric Flescher (kcstarguy at aol.com), Olathe, KS:   Lat 38.834, Lon -94.778:
Nature's Greatest Spectacle- 2008 & 2009 Total Eclipse- Winco Eclipse Tours,
Inc.:www.eclipsetrips.com: Comet Observers Award Coordinator- Astronomical
League / Astronomical Society of Kansas, KC, MO-Louisburg,KS:
http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/comet/comet.htm:   Comet Observers Blog:
http://cometobservers.blogspot.com/:Subscribe to Comet Observers newsletter (send your email
to):CometObserversAwardAL-subscribe at yahoogroups.com : : Eclipse sightings >
http://eclipse-sightings.blogspot.com/: E.O.A.S. (Earth, Oceans, Atmosphere and
Space) Blog -<http://eoas-dreric1kansas.blogspot.com/>:State of Kansas-JPL
NASA Solar   System Ambassador: #2572 IMCA