(meteorobs) alpha Lyncids on Dec 21?

Jan Verfl verfl.meteors at seznam.cz
Tue Dec 18 12:34:14 EST 2007

Hello all,

in their 2002 article "Meteor outbursts from long-period comet dust trails",
Esko Lyytinen and Peter Jenniskens predict a lot of possible
"far-comet-type" shower oubursts

The point is that one of them is to happen on Dec 21, 03:40 UT from a
radiant close to the back feet of the Great Bear (but still technically in
Lynx, so they call it alpha-Lyncids) with RA 138, DEC +44. For European
observers it is a rather favourable timing - for example here in Prag, Czech
Republic, the radiant will be almost in zenith, still deep night and the
(not far from full) Moon just setting.

The article does not give any information about the strenght of the shower,
but it is probably because this is much harder to obtain than the timing.
After the fantastic success of the Aurigid prediction that was carried out
by the same people, I believe there is a strong reason to go out and
observe! I thnik that Esko is a meteorobs-member, so he will hopefully
correct all the misinformation I may have given...

Clear skies,
Jan