(meteorobs) Dec 21/22 eve. report from 2005 in progress

Bertunit at aol.com Bertunit at aol.com
Tue Dec 18 16:37:35 EST 2007

I plan to get my Ursid outburst report from the early UT of Dec. 22, 2005
out before lunch on Dec. 20th in formal observing log format, but for right now
here is some points to be made for the potential Ursid observers this  year.

Besides the flurry of activity I had near 9-10pm CST on the evening of
December 21st of '05 by the URSIDS,
I had activity eminating from above the W side of Pegasus, including three
in less than a minute at 859pm.
this is quick notes from 4 pages of hastily written observation legal pad
log that nite.

These were slow meteors, mostly fainter, but well seen in +6.25 skies that
eve. from my preferred
dark sky site S of KC metro.

I am bringing this point up again as I am a longtime observer who noted
activity very early in the evening
during a time period that will see ALOT of observers, albeit in moonlight,
out this year.

Ursids in 2005 went completely dry on me at 1011pm, with the next 37  minutes
Ursid-free.

I put Ursid flurry activity centered at 900-945pm CST on Dec 21st 2005.  Very
nebulous appearing with wakes, and fragmentation, 2 or three were very long
pathed, including a nebulous +4 60 degree long one with a 1.5 sec. train at
911  pm.

I was astounded by seeing 32 meteors from 845pm to 1048 pm that evening.  AND
I had only ONE meteor from 1012-1048pm out of that total.  Like someone
flicking off a switch on activity.

Thanks to all the more active observers on the list for providing shower
information the last couple years
as I grow my sproutlings here in Lenexa, KS looking forward to more
observing time in the future.

Bert Matous
(MATBE)