(meteorobs) Geminid Observations from SW Florida USA - 12/13 and 13/14 December 2007

FELIX A MARRTINEZ suejam1 at juno.com
Wed Dec 19 11:03:51 EST 2007

 Finally I am beginning to recover from my 2,306 mile journey to Florida
and back to Central Virginia!  Plus there were many taskings that I
needed to engage in here, prior to sending out this report.

Did manage one very good night of observations (12/13 Dec) with Norman
McLeod and some "glimpses" of Geminid max. night (13/14 Dec) with both
Norm and Lew, through the available "holes" in many clouds on that night.
 Meteor rate tables and data is as follows:

Date - 12/13 December 2007

Hours Observed - 0416 to 1046 UT

Location - Lehigh Acres (East of Ft. Myers, Florida)

Limiting Magnitude - 6.5 to 6.8

Conditions - Clear and Pleasant (Temps between 62 and 67 degrees F)

0416 - 0426 UT          3 Geminids
0426 - 0526                18 G
                2 Spor                            LM 6.8; .9f
0526 - 0626                17 G
                 3 Spor                            LM 6.7; .9f
0626 - 0726                20 G       2 Mono       2 Sig Hyd           2
Spor                            LM 6.7; .9f
0726 - 0826                19 G       1 S Tau             1 Dec Leo
3 Spor                            LM 6.7; .9f
0826 - 0926                12 G                              1 Sig Hyd
        3 Spor                            LM 6.7; .7f
0926 - 1026                 18 G                              1 Sig Hyd
         1 Spor                            LM 6.5; .8f
1026 - 1046                    4 G
                    2 Spor

Total # of Meteors - 135 (111 Geminids) in about 6.5 hours of observing
Mono - short for Monocerotids
Sig Hyd - short for Sigma Hydrids
S Tau - short for South Taurids
Dec Leo - short for December Leonid

Brightest Meteors seen:  Geminid -4 @ 0654 UT (Blue-Purple) and Geminid
-4 @ 0925 UT (Blue-Green); several -2 Geminids were observed!

The following evening, we dealt with mostly cloudy conditions, almost all
night long and finally returned to Ft. Myers soon after 0845 UT.  Still
managed to observe 55 more meteors in a handful of "openings" in the
clouds.  A great big "thank you" to Robert Riefer and His Wife Lisa for
allowing us to utilize their nice big front yard to safely undertake
these observing sessions!!  It has become more of a challenge to find
safe places to spend the whole night meteor observing, that are also dark
enough to get worthwhile results.

General Observations and Summary:  It has become rather evident to Norm
and I (after more than four decades of data & observations) that the
Geminids are somewhat in decline.  The Geminids I would still rank ahead
of the Perseids and they continue to be my favorite Meteor Shower and are
worthy of attention and observations.  That being stated, this decline is
only detectable by "mere mortals" of normal perception that have observed
the Geminids over the course of many decades.  Those of extraordinary
perception do not seem to be as affected by the evident decline of this
meteor shower.   Additionally, those same individuals seem less affected
by the human factors that would most affect observations, such as aging
and fatigue.    Will gladly continue to observe the Geminids in future
years!

                                                                In
Astronomical Affinity - Felix A. Martinez