(meteorobs) Sporadic-E, 3200 Phaeton and the Geminids

drobnock drobnock at penn.com
Wed Dec 19 13:20:47 EST 2007

With my first vlf observation of the Perseids in the late 1980's and
later the Leonids early 2000's, it was apparent that the action of all
meteors created a broad vlf signature. The signature was a result of
ionization created through the ablation of a meteor in the upper
atmosphere. Although I was listening for the noise or the signature of
the meteor, the meteor was creating ionization in the upper atmosphere.

The effect that you observed,  meteors influencing an sporadic-e event,
is a direct link to the meteor activity. And  is most probable the
result of the Gemini shower.

Of interest is a little know work published in 1960, edited by Donald
Menzel,  Radio Noise Spectrum.  With a discussion paper by Gerald
Hawkins - Electromagnetic Emissions from Meteors, the piece mentions
enhancement of vlf electromagnetic noise in 1959 observed during the
Geminid meteor storm. ( later published in J. Geophys. Research 65
(1960) - eds Jenkins, Philips, Maple.

During our observation of the Leonid event,  it was apparent that the
upper atmosphere was more heavily charged than usual.  The increased
ionization event appears to be   during a major  meteor activity event
and is not as noticeable with sporadic or limited entries.

If nothing else the Menzel book may be an interesting read.

George John Drobnock

December 18, 2007

I would like to report the incidence of Sporadic-E effecting the
ionosphere for the past few days after the Geminid meteor shower. I have

been noting it on my radio meteor frequencies of 61.250 MHz and 83.250
MHz.

I am wondering what molecules the asteroid 3200 Phaeton is composed of?
This asteroid is supposedly the origin of the Geminid meteor shower. I
am wondering if the 3200 Phaeton - Geminid meteor dust trail has certain

magnetic properties that cause the phenomenon of Sporadic-E in this
instance?  To me, there seems to be a possible connection.

Thomas Ashcraft